Can Anxiety Benefit From Spiritual Growth?
Anxiety can cause people to give up on many of their beliefs. It can cause people to feel like nothing is holding them up, and nothing is going right for them. It can cause them to question religion, give up on spiritual practices, and more.
So can spiritual growth improve anxiety? We take a look at this idea from a more objective, non-religious perspective, to see whether spiritual growth can provide the necessary relief.
Can You Imagine Being Anxiety Free?
It's absolutely possible. Find out how you can reduce your anxiety by taking my free 7 minute anxiety test now.
Start the test here to learn more.
Understanding Spirituality and Anxiety
Whether you believe in God or being one with the universe, no one can deny that the world is filled with things that can help you recover from your stresses and your anxieties. Make sure you find out how to reduce your anxiety now with my free anxiety test.
But if we're looking directly at spirituality and spiritual growth, the answer is yes – but with some caveats.
How Spiritual Growth Can Help
One of the things to understand when we're talking about spirituality is that most spirituality involves a contentment with yourself. It's hard to pray to God, or feel spiritual when that belief isn't there, and unfortunately anxiety is the type of issue that can make people feel as though there is nothing and no one looking out for them. It can make it harder to take control of one's life.
So in that respect, obtaining spiritual growth can be difficult, and even if you want to put all of your faith in God you still do need to learn to love yourself. Even in the Bible it states that God has lent your body to you, and while you're meant to put all of your faith in God, you are doing a disservice to God by disliking yourself.
But if you can adapt your mindset to one that is more spiritual and gets in touch with your beliefs better, then there are absolutely several benefits to spiritual growth. These include:
- Faith in the Future – Perhaps the greatest problem for those with anxiety is the lack of seeing the future as a positive. Unfortunately this is caused by anxiety – much like being sick, it changes your thought patterns to make you feel like anxiety is still to come. But spirituality is about having faith in the world around you, and that faith can reduce some of the negativity you may feel for your future.
- Healthy Living – Spirituality also tends to be a form of healthier living. Those that are more spiritual often find that they are more prone to taking care of themselves, maintaining healthier habits, spending time with other people, and so on. Healthy living is very important for controlling anxiety, and something that those with anxiety often struggle to do.
- Healthy Distraction – The activities you do for spiritual growth also provide a very healthy distraction for overcoming anxiety. Actively attacking your stress isn't always the most successful strategy. Sometimes the brain heals better when you simply don't have time to pay attention to anxiety. Spiritual activities tend to be fairly consuming, which means that your mind is distracted from your worries and focused on something positive.
Spiritual growth also tends to involve strategies that slow your life down, the ability to talk to others and spend time with others, and the rebuilding of trust. It may even give you someone or something to pray to or for that you can believe that better things are coming.
Problems With Spiritual Growth
There is no downside to growing spiritually. It's something that can benefit men and women of all ages. However, there are a few notes of caution:
- Don't ignore yourself. Remember, you're still here. Whether you believe strongly in God or you believe that the universe makes things happen, every religion and every belief agrees that you need to take care of yourself, take action, and make changes. If all you change is your spirituality than you are neither doing God's will nor improving your life for yourself.
- Don’t wait for things to come. Even as you become more spiritual, there is no deity that simply answers prayers without work. You do need to make sure that you're focused on improving yourself and your own life, because only by actively making changes can you expect to see results.
- Don’t give up when you find relief thinking you're done. God may answer your prayers and respond to your beliefs, but much like religion you cannot simply believe when it's convenient. Even if you find your anxiety has gone away, don't forget to keep making the necessary changes to keep anxiety away.
As long as you keep these in mind, getting better in touch with your spirituality can only be a good thing for your mental health. There is little downside as long as you don't assume that all you need to do is pray and wait. Not even God approves of that type of lifestyle.
If you're truly wanting to get started in curing your anxiety, start committing to spiritual grown and an anxiety reduction tool that can help you.
Take my anxiety test now to get started.